Saturday, May 20th | 2 PM
Join us at the Peregrine for a very special event with New York Times bestselling author Anne Hillerman on Saturday, May 20th, at 2 pm.
Hillerman will read from and discuss the writing of her latest book, The Way of the Bear, as well as other things connected to her work and its evolution before opening the session up to questions from readers.
She will also introduce us to Christine Estes, winner of the 2020 Tony Hillerman Prize, who will return to read from her own book, Off the Air when it is published next spring.
Buying a copy of Anne Hillerman’s new book, The Way of the Bear, at the Peregrine entitles you to seating for two people. If you choose to buy a book elsewhere or buy it in electronic or auditory format, the ticket price will be $10 per person. If the weather behaves, the event will be held outdoors at the Fairweather Social Club. Buy the Book
Fossil harvesting, ancient lore, greed, rejected love, and murder combines in this gripping new installment of New York Times bestselling author Anne Hillerman’s Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito series.
An unexpected death on a lonely road outside of Utah’s Bears Ears National Monument raises questions for Navajo Tribal Police officers Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito. Why would a seasoned outdoorsman and well-known paleontologist freeze to death within walking distance of his car? A second death brings more turmoil. Who is the unidentified man killed during a home invasion where nothing much seems to have been taken? Why was he murdered?
The Bears Ears area, at the edge of the Navajo Nation, is celebrated for its abundance of early human habitation sites and the discovery of unique fossils which revolutionized the scientific view of how early animals dealt with their changing world. Chee and Manuelito appreciate the area’s scenery and wealth of human and scientific resources, but their visit to this achingly beautiful place is disrupted by a current of unprecedented violence that sweeps them both into danger. Illicit romance, a fossilized jawbone, hints of witchcraft, and a mysterious disappearance during a blizzard add to the peril.
It takes all of Manuelito’s and Chee’s experience, skill, and intuition to navigate the threats that arise and see justice served.
ANNE HILLERMAN is the bestselling author of the Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito series. The Way of the Bear is her eighth novel in the series, created by her father, Tony Hillerman. She lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Tucson, Arizona, and is at work on her next novel. Anne's Awards Include:
- Winner, Southwest Book Design Award,
- New Mexico Book Association New Mexico Department of Agriculture Rounders Award “to honor those who live, promote and articulate the Western way of life”
- New Mexico Book of the Year, New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards
- Best mystery fiction and best cover design, New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards
- The Frank Waters Award for literary excellence
- Mountains and Plains Booksellers Award for Best Non-fiction (Tony Hillerman's Landscape)
- Spur Award, Best First Mystery, Western Writers of America
- Best Novelist, Reader's Choice
- Finalist Albuquerque Journal, Santa Fe Reporter, and Albuquerque The Magazine
- Finalist, Zia Award for best novel Finalist, Oklahoma Book Awards
- Amazon Best Mystery
- New Mexico Press Association, first place, editorials
- Communicator of Achievement, New Mexico Press Women