Prayers of Desperation: A Questioner's Prayer for Answers in Our Darkest Moments (Paperback)
Sometimes our best prayers can be the questions we ask. Bishop Robert J. Baker, S.T.D., explains powerful ways to pray when facing the pain of abandonment, serious illness or addiction, loss of a loved one, or large-scale disaster.
He points to the growth that occurs when, in our darkest moments, we turn to God in humility and ask such authentic questions as "Why me, Lord?"; "Why now?"; "When will this pain subside, my God?"; and "How can I possibly get through this?" Prayers of Desperation ushers us through the fog of turmoil and helps us place our faith and trust firmly in God, despite our despair or lack of understanding. When we begin the prayer dialogue with God that Bishop Baker gently explains, God will answer.
This engaging, comforting, easy-to-read prayer and meditation book is invaluable for those who are beginning their search for meaning in life as well as for those further along on their journey of faith.
Bishop Baker masterfully guides you to the core of your relationship with God by offering:
- Solutions to help you unite your sufferings to those of Christ, including a stirring meditation on His Passion
- An understanding of the Real Presence that will enlighten you, inspire you with charity, and rid you of anxieties
- A solid answer and guidance to the question of what God's plan is for your life
- Lessons from St. Teresa of Calcutta's real-life experiences on the question "Where are you, God?"
- The spiritually intense avenues for human-divine encounters that bring you God's healing
- Explanations on why the Holy Mass, sacramentals, and devotions are key tools for getting your existential questions answered
About the Author
Bishop Robert J. Baker, S.T.D., served as bishop of Charleston, South Carolina, from 1999 to 2007 and as bishop of Birmingham, Alabama, from 2007 to 2020. He has published numerous articles and books, including When Did We See You, Lord?, which he co-authored with Father Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R.