(This book cannot be returned)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 13 in the Kate Burkholder series.
- #1: Sworn to Silence: The First Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $9.99
- #2: Pray for Silence: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: Breaking Silence: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #4: Gone Missing: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $11.99
- #5: Her Last Breath: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Paperback): $17.99
- #6: The Dead Will Tell: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $8.99
- #7: After the Storm: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $8.99
- #8: Among the Wicked: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $9.99
- #9: Down a Dark Road: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $9.99
- #10: A Gathering of Secrets: A Kate Burkholder Novel (Mass Market): $9.99
- #11: Shamed: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #11) (Hardcover): This title is hard to find, please call the store for our current availability.
- #12: Outsider: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #12) (Paperback): $16.99
- #14: The Hidden One: A Novel of Suspense (Kate Burkholder #14) (Hardcover): $27.99
In New York Times bestselling author Linda Castillo’s next thriller Fallen, a rebellious Amish woman leaves the Plain life, but the secrets she takes with her will lead Chief of Police Kate Burkholder down a dark path to danger and death.
When a young woman is found murdered in a Painters Mill motel, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is shocked to discover she once knew the victim. Rachael Schwartz was a charming but troubled Amish girl who left the fold years ago and fled Painters Mill. Why was she back in town? And who would kill her so brutally?
Kate remembers Rachael as the only girl who was as bad at being Amish as Kate was—and those parallels dog her. But the more Kate learns about Rachael's life, the more she's convinced that her dubious reputation was deserved. As a child, Rachael was a rowdy rulebreaker whose decision to leave devastated her parents and best friend. As an adult, she was charismatic and beautiful, a rabble-rouser with a keen eye for opportunity no matter who got in her way. Her no-holds-barred lifestyle earned her a lot of love and enemies aplenty—both English and Amish.
As the case heats to a fever pitch and long-buried secrets resurface, a killer haunts Painters Mill. Someone doesn’t want Rachael’s past—or the mysteries she took with her to the grave—coming to light. As Kate digs deeper, violence strikes again, this time hitting close to home. Will Kate uncover the truth and bring a murderer to justice? Or will a killer bent on protecting a terrible past stop her once and for all—and let the fallen be forgotten?
About the Author
Linda Castillo is the author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Kate Burkholder series, set in the world of the Amish. The first book, Sworn to Silence, was adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder. Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards including a nomination by the International Thriller Writers for Best Hardcover, the Mystery Writers of America’s Sue Grafton Memorial Award, and an appearance on the Boston Globe’s shortlist for best crime novel. In addition to writing, Castillo’s other passion is horses. She lives in Texas with her husband and is currently at work on her next book.
“Exhilarating...Castillo adds surprising twists to the gripping plot and touches upon police brutality and Amish discrimination. This sterling entry can be easily read as a standalone.” –Publishers Weekly (starred)
“An absolute cracker of a book.” –Booklist (starred)
“Castillo uses her Ohio background and knowledge to superb effect. She conceives and creates fully fleshed characters, devises an intricate and twisty plot and examines complex issues of religion and morality. A series of literary weight, Castillo’s work appeals to connoisseurs of crime fiction who expect powerful purpose as well as serious storytelling.” –Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star
“Castillo is terrific at constructing a story, and her pacing is impeccable…this series just gets better and better; Fallen may be the best entry yet.” –St. Louis Post Dispatch
“Fallen successfully pushes the envelope of the series…Castillo is more than capable of extracting new stories from a deceptively but deeply complex culture that is as intricate as it is misunderstood.” –Bookreporter.com
Praise for Outsider:
“A pulse-pounding Amish thriller (really!) that’s all too relevant to our time.” —Kirkus Reviews (starred)
“[A] fast-paced, suspense-building ride, showing the character development and sensitivity to the Amish culture that mark Castillo’s masterful crime fiction.” –Booklist (starred)
“Bestseller Castillo’s suspenseful 12th Kate Burkholder mystery…Castillo presents a loving, realistic portrait of Amish life. Readers will hope Kate has a long career.” —Publishers Weekly